The block we created in part one is pretty basic. It’s a simple block view that displays a title and video thumbnail. Instead of displaying a thumbnail, let’s configure the block view to display a video player. This allows users to watch videos directly from the block.
But more importantly, it gives me a chance to demonstrate Video Embed Field’s video styles.
A video style allows you to configure a video player’s width, height, player theme and more. You can have as many different styles of players as you want or need.
For example, you could create a video style that will display a video at 640px wide on an article page. Then on the homepage, have another style that will display the video at 320px.
Bottom line is, you’re not stuck with a single player.
Now, let’s create a custom video style for the block that we created in part one.
Before we can continue, make sure you’ve read “How to Embed Videos using Video Embed Field Module in Drupal 7”. We’ll continue building the “Recent articles” block.
How to Create a Video Style
1. In the administration menu, go to Configuration, “Configure Video Embed Styles” and click Add.
2. Enter “block” into the Name field, change the “Player Width” to 168px and “Player Height” to 150px.
Also, don’t forget to change the Vimeo settings.
3. Now go back and edit the “Recent articles” view. We created this block in part one.
4. Click on the “Content: Video” field in the Fields area and change the Formatter to “Video Player” and “Video style” to “block”.
5. Save the view and go back to the homepage.
Instead of seeing thumbnails in the block, now you should see video players.
And finally, video styles can be exported using Features, or you can manually export styles by clicking on the Export link within the Operations column.
That’s it for our second part on using Video Embed Field module. Even though this module is considered a “lightweight solution”, you can do a lot of things with it from displaying thumbnails and configuring custom video players.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment.