This page contains affiliate links, meaning we get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through our links, at no cost to you. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Gravity Forms is great for creating all sorts of forms such as contact us or application forms. Another excellent use for Gravity Forms is to create newsletter sign up forms.
The plugin allows you to create a “ConvertKit Feed” to send submissions from Gravity Forms directly to ConvertKit. You could create a newsletter sign-up using Gravity Forms and send submissions to ConvertKit.
Gravity Form fields can be mapped to custom fields in ConvertKit and you can tag subscribers from Gravity Forms.
New to Gravity Forms? Read our in-depth tutorial (+ 35 minute video) “Getting Started with Gravity Forms in WordPress”.
Does this Plugin require a Paid Plan?
No, you can use the free ConvertKit plan.
ConvertKit is an email marketing platform designed specifically for creators and entrepreneurs.
It provides a user-friendly interface and powerful features to help users manage their email lists, automate email campaigns, and nurture relationships with their audience.
Getting Started with Gravity Forms ConvertKit Add-on
First, make sure you have registered an account on ConvertKit. They offer a fairly decent free plan which is enough to follow along with this tutorial.
Then you want to ensure you have purchased a copy of Gravity Forms. The Basic License is all that is required to follow along.
Download Gravity Forms ConvertKit Add-On
1. Go to Plugins, and click on Add New. Search for “Gravity Forms ConvertKit”. Install the plugin named “Gravity Forms ConvertKit Add-On”.
Then click Activate.
Connect Gravity Forms to ConvertKit using API Key
1. Go to Forms, Settings and click on ConvertKit.
2. Click on the “Get your ConvertKit API Key.” link and it’ll take you to the ConvertKit page with the API key.
3. Copy the key from Your API Key.
4. Paste the key into API Key in WordPress.
Then click Save Settings.
Gravity Forms is now integrated with ConvertKit. Let’s create a newsletter signup form.
Create Newsletter Signup Form using Gravity Forms
Let’s create a newsletter signup form using a form template offered by Gravity Forms.
We won’t cover how to create a form in this tutorial. If you’re new to Gravity Forms, check out our “Getting Started with Gravity Forms in WordPress” tutorial.
1. Click on New Form.
2. Scroll down in the Explore Form Templates pop-up until you get to Newsletter Signup Form and click on Use Template.
3. Enter a Form Title and click on Use Template.
4. You should be redirected to the form edit screen, where you can edit and modify the form.
To preview the form just click on Preview in the top right corner.
Create Form in ConvertKit
Contacts need to be sent to a specific ConvertKit “form” which needs to be created.
1. Go to ConvertKit and go to Grow and click Landing Pages & Forms.
2. Click on Create a form.
If you want to use an existing form, skip this step.
3. Select Inline display form.
4. Then select a form template; any template will do.
5. Change the name of the form to something useful.
Click on the pencil icon and change the name.
6. Click on Save in the right hand side.
We won’t worry about the form look-and-feel because we’re using this form just for subscribing users via the API.
Integrate Form with ConvertKit
At this point, we have a form and we created a ConvertKit form. We’re ready to integrate everything using a ConvertKit Feed.
1. Go to the form edit screen in WordPress, hover over Settings and click on ConvertKit.
NOTE: If you can’t see ConvertKit, ensure the plugin is activated.
2. From the “ConvertKit Feeds” page, click on “Add new”.
3. Add General Newsletter form into Name and select General Newsletter from ConvertKit Form.
4. Select which tag will be automatically added to the contact from ConvertKit Tag.
This is not a requirement.
5. From the Map Fields section, ensure Email is mapped and select Name (First) for the Name field.
Scroll down and click on Save Settings.
Test Gravity Forms with ConvertKit Integration
Preview the form and enter in a first and last name and an email.
Then submit the form.
An email will be sent confirming your subscription.
Then in ConvertKit you should see the confirmed subscriber.
Map ConvertKit Fields from Gravity Forms
Our form has two custom fields (apart from email); first name and last name.
ConvertKit has a generic first name field which can be used to store the first name. However, last name isn’t being stored.
Let’s fix that.
1. Click into a subscriber in ConvertKit and click on Add a new field.
2. Enter Last name into Field name and click on Update Subscriber.
You should now see an empty last name field.
3. Jump back to Gravity Forms and edit the ConvertKit feed we created.
4. Select Last name from the Key drop-down below the fields.
5. And from Value select Name (Last).
Then click Save Settings.
Can’t see the Drop-down?
If you can’t see a drop-down and all you see is an empty field with an X on the right. Just click on the X and you should see the drop-down.
This could happen if you’re editing an existing ConvertKit Feed.
6. The next time your form is submitted, the last name will be added to the last name field in ConvertKit.
Conditionally Send Contacts to ConvertKit
Instead of sending all form submissions to ConvertKit, let’s implement a checkbox field in the form that users must check to subscribe.
We’ll add a checkbox labeled “Subscribe to newsletter” which needs to be selected for the user to subscribe.
Create “Subscribe to Newsletter” Checkbox
1. Edit your form and add the Consent field to the form.
2. Add Newsletter into Field Label and Subscribe to newsletter in Checkbox Label.
3. Save the form, and you should see the new checkbox when you preview it.
Adjust ConvertKit Feed
4. Edit your ConvertKit Feed, by going to Settings, ConvertKit.
5. Scroll to the bottom and check Enable Condition. Select Newsletter from the first drop-down, then “is” from the middle and Checked from the last one.
6. Then click on Save Settings.
Gravity Forms will only send the submission to ConvertKit if the user checks “Subscribe to newsletter”.
The ConvertKit add-on for Gravity Forms on WordPress is a powerful tool that simplifies the integration of contact forms with ConvertKit forms. With features like customizable field mapping, support for multiple forms, and a user-friendly interface, this add-on streamlines email marketing efforts and enhances lead generation capabilities.